The “Dog Days of Summer” are upon us!
What does that mean? Well, in old country boy parlance, that means that the good ole’ summertime is just about gone!
What can’t pass for summer and what can not pass for Autumn, falls somewhere’s in the never, never, land of “Dog Days!”
- Summer’s not quiet gone.
- Fall is not quiet here yet.
- The temperature is diving, just a few degrees, from the sweltering heat of late summer, just enough to give you a little tickle in your big toe of your right foot!
- Swimmin’ is still fun down in the pond, but the pond is a bit l
ower than usual, and those cold spots have moved around again! Ummm …. something is going on here and I ain’t sure what it is!?!
- A good warm fire in the fireplace sounds like a good idea but it ain’t yet that cool!
- It’s a good time to get up some firewood though anyway because you know it (the cold of winter) is a comin’!
- Fishing is a mite laid back, but, some are still biting!
- Your chores are in limbo, but steady. You don’t really know whether you need to do more or less.
- All engines and motors seem to be working good, but for how long you ask!?! And then they break down!
- The cattle and other livestock are fairly contented, but they too are tired of the hot weather and are looking for a change! There is some restlessness at times!
- Home cooking smells ever so good, especially the hog fat rendering, as the aromas drift around the old farm!
- The hay is getting put up – not too much, not too little, just the right amount for another round of “Jack Frost” and all his rowdy friends!
- Things even look different! Colors are more muted and the light carries a different ambiance as it drizzles through the tree limbs!
- Things smell different like now they are older and dryer!
- The honey bees sting more because the nectar is down and they are restless and sometimes downright mean!
- Cold iced tea taste like you been drinking it all summer and you feel like maybe you’re ready for some hot coco, but not just yet!
- There ain’t enough dirt to fill a hole back up and it just had come out! Usually in the Spring there is too much dirt that comes outta the hole! Or, is it the other way around? Anyway, it’s different!
Yeap, it’s Dog Days of Summer okay, and you can’t deny it anymore than you can spit into the wind and not get wet!
So gird up those loins and get ready because Fall is coming and it’s a comin’ soon! Ummm… it will be nice for a while! A nice change of pace in our hectic little world of this and that!
Dust off your boots and clean the hunting rifle, cause cold weather will soon be here again and it won’t be long before we are once more longing for the Spring and the green, green grass of warm weather!
Enjoy the Dog Days for what they are! A new change in the air and like today, sometimes your old dog, like “Kiba,” actually comes home after being gone for three days! Dirty, scraggly and hungry, he settles in for a while! After all it’s his time of year!!!