Once there was a man who went to the psychiatrist for a problem he was having and the doctor said, “I understand you are having difficulty making decisions, is that true?”
“Well, yes and no,” said the man!
Point made! We all have difficulty making decisions from time to time! To be decisive is a rather rare attribute, that can be both good and bad. See what I mean!
But, there comes a time when we do have to finally make up our mind. Knowing the difference between time and delay and carefully weighing our options is hard to put your finger on. There is what we might call however, “Paralysis by analysis!”
Some of the places we may have problems are as follows:
- Do I go to college or do I get a job?
- Do I work part time or full time?
- Shall I choose this career or that career?
- Will I marry this person or not?
- If so, when?
- Are we well matched?
- Will we be happy together?
- Are we compatible?
- What movie are we going to go see?
- Where do you want to go to eat?
- What am I going to do today?
- What color shall I choose?
- Regarding weather – fly or no go?
- What sports coat looks best on me?
- What about those designer jeans?
- What hair style should I wear?
Well, by now, I am sure you get the picture. Some things are of course more easy to decide and the choice is of a lower consequence. While on the other hand some things are a powerful and long lasting choice with significant consequences that can affect us for the rest of our lives.
When you are confronted with a choice – try to weight out the pros and cons and then make the best decision you can under the circumstances. When it comes to more important decisions, think a lot harder and really try to project the aftermath and the circumstances to follow, but don’t let that necessarily stop you from moving forward. Just try to make a really good decision, for the moment of absolute certainty never arrives, in most cases. In others it most nearly does. So listen to your “gut feelings” and more times than not you will make the right decision.
So, for today, what is the question or questions for you???
Be careful, for you have to live with your choices, at least for a little while, until you change your mind!